Smoked Popcorn Crusted Chicken, Cornbread, Grilled Corn and Kohlrabi Slaw
For the chicken:
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 cups smoked popcorn, blended to the consistency of fine crumbs
100g plain flour seasoned with salt and smoked paprika
1 egg beaten with 50ml milk
Rapeseed oil for cooking
- Dip the chicken into the flour, add to the egg and then dredge in the popcorn.
- Heat half a thumb nail depth of oil in a pan and seal off the chicken.
- Transfer to a baking tray and cook in a 180oc oven for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
For the cornbread:
180g plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
50g melted butter
50g grated cheddar
2 chopped scallions
- Set oven to 200oc and grease a square baking tin.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg and butter together and mix into the dry ingredients.
- Add the cheese and scallions.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or make into muffins.
For the grilled corn and kohlrabi slaw:
1 kohlrabi, shredded
Juice 1 lemon
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 corn on the cob
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
100ml sour cream
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- Toss the kohlrabi in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the red onion.
- Cook the corn in boiling water for 5 minutes then brush with oil.Cook on bbq to scorch.
- Brush the scallions with oil and scorch on the bbq.
- Shuck the corn and mix into the kohlrabi with the chopped scallions, mayo, sour cream and smoked paprika.
Spring is springing in Antrim Castle Gardens!
Spring is springing in Antrim Castle Gardens hinting at what lies ahead as the parklands prepare to host Allianz Garden... Read More
A new and exciting Allianz Garden Show Ireland will return to Antrim Castle Gardens in 2020. So put the dates... Read More