Picnicking with Paula
Smoked Popcorn Crusted Chicken, Cornbread, Grilled Corn and Kohlrabi Slaw
For the chicken:
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
3 cups smoked popcorn, blended to the consistency of fine crumbs
100g plain flour seasoned with salt and smoked paprika
1 egg beaten with 50ml milk
Rapeseed oil for cooking
- Dip the chicken into the flour, add to the egg and then dredge in the popcorn.
- Heat half a thumb nail depth of oil in a pan and seal off the chicken.
- Transfer to a baking tray and cook in a 180oc oven for 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
For the cornbread:
180g plain flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
50g melted butter
50g grated cheddar
2 chopped scallions
- Set oven to 200oc and grease a square baking tin.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder in a bowl.
- Whisk the buttermilk, egg and butter together and mix into the dry ingredients.
- Add the cheese and scallions.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or make into muffins.
For the grilled corn and kohlrabi slaw:
1 kohlrabi, shredded
Juice 1 lemon
1 red onion, finely sliced
1 corn on the cob
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
100ml sour cream
1 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
- Toss the kohlrabi in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss in the red onion.
- Cook the corn in boiling water for 5 minutes then brush with oil.Cook on bbq to scorch.
- Brush the scallions with oil and scorch on the bbq.
- Shuck the corn and mix into the kohlrabi with the chopped scallions, mayo, sour cream and smoked paprika.
Potted Smoked Mackerel, Cucumber and Lovage Jelly, Horseradish Cream
For the smoked mackerel:
4 smoked mackerel fillets
1 tablespoon creamed horseradish
2 tablespoons sour cream
Juice and zest 1 lemon
1 teaspoon smoked black pepper
30g soft butter
- Blend the mackerel, horseradish, sour cream, lemon zest and juice and smoked black pepper together.
- Mix in the butter and spoon into ramekins or kilner jars.
For the cucumber and lovage jelly:
2 tablespoons lovage leaves
2 leaves gelatine
- Cut the outside of the cucumber. Place the middle in a blender.
- Blanch the lovage in boiling water for 10 seconds then cool down in ice.
- Mix into the cucumber and blend. Pass through a sieve lined with muslin – allow to drip.
- Measure 200ml of liquid and soak the gelatine in cold water for 10 minutes.
- Warm half the liquid and add the gelatine. Mix in the remaining liquid and pour over the mackerel.
- Allow to set.
- Slice the cucumber and dress with dill, oil and lemon juice and serve on the side.
Rolled Courgettes with Homemade Herb Cheese and Slow Cooked Tomatoes
For the homemade cheese:
1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Place all the ingredients in a pan and bring to a simmer.
- Warm until curds appear and then cool.
- Spoon into a muslin lined sieve and refrigerate.
For the courgettes:
2 courgettes, sliced thinly lengthwise
1 tablespoon chopped chives
2 punnets cherry tomatoes
- Set oven to 100oc.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place cut side up on the tray.
- Season with salt. Pick the basil and parsley and finely chop the stalks and scatter over the tomatoes.
- Cook for about 2 hours or until dried.
- Chop the herb leaves and mix into the cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Brush the courgettes with oil and season with salt.
- Cook on the bbq to wilt.
- Spoon over some cheese onto the courgette.
- Dot on some tomatoes and roll up.
- Press into a jar.
- Cover with oil.
Check out Paula’s other fabulous recipes:
Afternoon Tea BBQ with Paula
BBQing with Paula